Pictured above: A public brain awareness fair organized in Montevideo, Uruguay, by Sociedad de Neurociencias del Uruguay, a 2015-16 IBRO Global Advocacy Seed Grant awardee.
• Applications now closed for 2018 Global Advocacy Seed Grants •
As a global neuroscience federation dedicated to supporting and promoting neuroscience around the world, IBRO was chosen by leading neuroscience societies to lead the collaborative Global Advocacy Initiative in 2013. Founding partners (listed below) launched a long-term funding program in 2014 that has included regional workshops and seed grants which have supported advocacy activities in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America and, in 2017, will include European countries challenged by a lack of resources and support.
"With effective advocacy, greater political will and enhanced global cooperation, neuroscience will make faster progress for the benefit of all humans. Neuroscience research is the key to widening what humankind has already achieved with our brains, to secure a sustainable future for forthcoming generations.”
- Pierre Magistretti, IBRO President
• Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS)
• Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
To increase awareness and build support for brain research, informed policymaking, training and education through activities and events that are culturally sensitive and regionally relevant.
1. Increase public and policy support for neuroscience research
2. Enhance public awareness about neuroscience through activities that are culturally sensitive and regionally relevant
3. Disseminate existing resources and develop new ones
4. Coordinate initiatives with other scientific organizations to boost global support and awareness
GLOBAL ADVOCACY COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Hans-Joachim Pflüger, Interim IBRO Secretary General and Chair of the Global Advocacy Committee
• Cecilia Bouzat, IBRO Latin America Regional Committee (IBRO-LARC)
• Kazuhiro Ikenaka, International Society for Neurochemistry (ISN)
• Barry Everitt, Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS)
• Robert Gábriel, IBRO Pan-European Regional Committee (IBRO-PERC)
• Barbara Gill, Dana Foundation
• Tadashi Isa, Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS)
• Pierre Luabeya, IBRO Africa Regional Committee (IBRO-ARC)
• William Martin, Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
• Linda Richards, Australasian Neuroscience Society (ANS)
• Keiji Tanaka, IBRO Asia Pacific Regional Committee (IBRO-APRC)